It’s that time of year again! This time around i’ve been nominated by Fabledhunter over at Anime Ataraxia, which I am very grateful for!
The rules have changed just a teeny bit, so i’ll include them at the bottom.
1. Do you have any hobbies which aren’t related to anime?
I’m big on video games and visual novels, as readers of the blog will know. In addition to those I enjoy reading fiction and have recently started playing board games and geocaching.
Geochaching is fantastic, being a GPS-based treasure hunt that can be done just about anywhere. I would highly recommend giving it a go.
2. What is your favourite scene or moment in anime?
It’s not secret among the people that know me that i’m actually terrible at remembering specifics like scenes or quotes. However, the scene that’s stuck with me right from when I first watched it years ago was the end of Angel Beats!’ first episode where Angel makes her first real move and Crow Song plays in the background. It was fantastic and had me hooked on Angel Beats! from that point forward.
3. Do you wish you did anything differently when you were younger?
I wish I was slightly better behaved but i’ve never done anything seriously regrettable. Everything i’ve done has resulted in the me I am now, so i’m pretty happy with it all.
4. Is there any anime which most people you know thought was bad, but you really enjoyed?
Unfortunately i’m usually on the other side of the scale. If I had to pick one show that I liked that gets a lot of flak it would have to be Sword Art Online. It certainly has flaws, but I still found it to be an enjoyable experience. I haven’t seen the new season, though, so we’ll see if my opinion changes.
5. Are there any anime characters you admire, while not being able to agree with their values or choices?
To be honest, anime as a medium hasn’t given me any characters that I can say I admire. There aren’t any examples of people that I want to emulate (though there are many examples of values or choices I don’t agree with). Protagonists, for example, are either too bland or ridiculously selfless, and I don’t want to be either of those things.
6. What underrated anime or manga series do you think needs to be exposed to more people?
I don’t see nearly enough talk about Zetsuen no Tempest. I wouldn’t call it hugely underrated (going by MAL’s score) but it’s very entertaining especially during its first season and should be watched by more people.
7. If you were able to live in an anime or manga universe, would you? and which one?
I’ll start with the obligatory “No, because my girlfriend is in this one” before addressing the question more appropriately.
Obviously, picking any universe with combat would be silly, because I sit on my computer all day (or rather, I wish that I could). Similarly, universes with a lower level of technology are out. With that all out of the way, i’d go for Sword Art Online or Accel World, because virtual reality is amazing.
8. What is your favourite visual novel? (if you haven’t played any pick an anime which was adapted from a visual novel)
Muv-Luv Alternative, hands down. With the minor caveat of its prequel VNs to get through, it’s an unforgettable experience that very few other stories manage to stand up to. G-Senjou no Maou deserves an honorable mention here, too.
9. What are you most looking forward to during 2015?
Probably being one step closer to finishing my education. Jokes aside, I don’t enjoy constantly having assignments and tests sitting in the back of my mind and i’m hoping that i’ll be able to be less stressed when I start working, even if I have less free time overall. And i’ll be getting paid, which rocks.
10. Would you consider yourself more a S or M?
If I absolutely had to pick one it’d be S.
11. What anime series would you prefer to have a new season announced?
Aw man, so many choices. I simply cannot pick a single series, so i’ll make a small list.
Accel World, Kokoro Connect, Arpeggio of Blue Steel, Deadman Wonderland, Btooom!, HenNeko, Date a Live and Mondaiji.
11 Facts About Myself
1. I’m currently in my 5th (penultimate) year of medical school. Big exams at the end of this year!
2. I’m originally from New Zealand and live here now, but i’ve also lived in Australia and Switzerland.
3. I have absolutely no artistic skill (so if someone feels like drawing something for the site, please go ahead =P).
4. I’ve listened to Japanese music pretty much exclusively for the past three years. I think I enjoy being unable to understand the lyrics.
5. I worked in a public library for about 5 years while in High School. The manga section was terrible and there was nothing I could do about it.
6. I’m very afraid that i’ve reached the point where there aren’t any more fantastic visual novels for me.
7. I eventually plan to try my hand at writing fiction (and having something adapted into a VN or Anime is a pipe dream of mine).
8. I eat whatever I want, whenever I want and don’t gain weight.
9. I’m a poor student, so I can’t afford much food.
10. I like dark chocolate.
11. Jim Butcher is my favorite author, and The Dresden Files is my favorite book series.
Now for the Official Rules of the Liebster Award:
If you have been nominated for The Liebster Award AND YOU CHOOSE TO ACCEPT IT, write a blog post about the Liebster award in which you:
- Thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog.
- Display the award on your blog — by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a “widget” or a “gadget”. (Note that the best way to do this is to save the image to your own computer and then upload it to your blog post.)
- Answer 11 questions about yourself, which will be provided to you by the person who nominated you.
- Provide 11 random facts about yourself.
5 – 11 blog sthat you feel deserve the award, who have a less than 1000 followers. (Note that you can always ask the blog owner this since not all blogs display a widget that lets the readers know this information!)
- Create a new list of questions for the blogger to answer.
- List these rules in your post (You can copy and paste from here.) Once you have written and published it, you then have to:
- Inform the people/blogs that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster award and provide a link for them to your post so that they can learn about it (they might not have ever heard of it!).
To avoid double-ups from nominations i’ve made previously, I only have the one this time! Of course, anyone is welcome to participate in the comments or on their own blog (which I will provide a link to!)
Hell Bolt over at Anime Cataclysm takes home today’s award (and his post is here)!
His questions are:
1. Milk, White or Dark?
2. Do you play video games regularly? If so, which one is your favorite? If not, what’s another hobby of yours?
3. If you had to pick one anime character to forever be by your side (but unable to be seen or heard by others), who would it be?
4. What types of books do you read? Which are your favorites?
5. You must pick one country to relocate to immediately, where do you go?
6. If you could change one thing about the universe we live in, what would it be? (I mean big-scale stuff, like alien contact or people growing horse tails)
7. What is your melee weapon of choice?
8. What is your ranged weapon of choice?
9. What do you hope to accomplish in the next 5 years?
10. What are 3 things that would be a deal breaker for you regarding a potential partner?
11. You may choose to live in (and be intimately involved with) the world of Muv-Luv Alternative, Attack on Titan or Deadman Wonderland. Which do you choose and why?
And that’s it! Thanks for reading everyone, here’s a reward in the form of my two dogs!
I guess it attests to us being online bros for the last year or so that I knew most of your answers to these questions. As for the no more great VNs comment, because you know what you like most of all you can make it your fictional ambition to make one.
That’s the pipe dream I mentioned =P Of course, since i’ve criticized so many VNs I doubt i’d ever be satisfied with one I made XD
Or, as with the case of my earlier novels, your tastes change and your writing style improves to the point that you only enjoy the premise.
I commend you for being able to get away with watching some of the shows you were able to, considering the “leash” you are bound by so to speak.
Guess I’ll be calling you Dr Silver Chief soon.
Quite the assortment of trivia you shared.
A dark chocolate eater eh? The whole “it’s healthier than milk chocolate” thing?
Eh, a little bit of fan service is acceptable and if I think a story is going to be enjoyable for a reason other than fan service i’m happy to watch it separately. I mean, I could watch anything if I didn’t take my partner’s thoughts into account but that wouldn’t make me a very good boyfriend XD
Hopefully! Unless I go crazy first, which may well happen.
I just prefer the taste. The supposed health benefits are a fortunate coincidence.
Date a Live, will hopefully get another season announced after the film. That is what I am hoping for.
Here’s hoping! It doesn’t quite make my list of favorite series but it was fun to watch and deserves to continue its story.
I follow what happens, and volumes 10 and 11 need to be animated to put it simply enough.
“Protagonists, for example, are either too bland or ridiculously selfless.”
I definitely agree, but if it were me, I would definitely name Shirou though-he’s quite the epitome of this trait, lol.
Anyway, nice answers! Guess I’m not surprised at all that you picked Muv-luv, lol.
I look at characters like Shirou and think that I don’t really want to be that selfless. I think it’s okay to be concerned about your own wellbeing if you keep in mind that everyone else is human just like you and deserve all the same things. I think that being kind doesn’t necessarily mean disadvantaging yourself, which is where Shirou and I would differ. I also recognize that sometimes the world doesn’t work the way it should, and that there isn’t much we can do about it. This is why i’m not a protagonist =P
How surprised would you have been if it hadn’t been Muv-Luv? 😉
Heya Silvachief! I know, I’m super late.. But, Congratulations on the award! And Thank you very much for nominating me, I’m really flattered. Here’s a link to my Liebster Award Post: http://www.animecataclysm.com/2015/08/my-15-minutes-of-fame-liebster-award.html
Thanks again, Keep on blogging! *Cheers*
Thanks for participating! I’ll head on over and check it out =)