This is Award X, I have received it from Blogger Y, and must do Task Z.
In all seriousness, though, a big Thank You to Lazarinth over at Fantasy and Anime for the nomination for the Creative Blogger Award!
No fancy award images this time around; I just have to write some facts about myself and following Lazarinth’s lead i’m going to tackle a theme: Medical Stories.
1. On my first week in Psychiatry I was tasked with reviewing the ward on my own, being the only member of my team in attendance on one of the days. One patient I reviewed was later sent to the secure facility for assaulting a staff member.
2. In Surgery I was given the task every medical student dreams of, that of holding a patient’s small intestine out of the way while the surgeon does all of the important stuff. It was warm.
3. Also in Surgery, I spent two hours helping to repeatedly inject saline into a man’s bladder in order to evacuate all of the blood that was entering it after a traumatic catheterization. The surgeon was around the corner talking with his buddies the whole time.
4. In Obstetrics and Gynaecology I assisted with a caesarean section delivery of a baby. My job was to push down on the mother’s stomach to help get the baby out of the surgical incision site. The mother was awake at the time.
5. In General Practice I aided in the reduction of a wrist fracture that required a Bier’s Block (cut off circulation to arm, inject local anaesthetic into isolated area for full anaesthesia). The pressure cuff was faulty, the patient felt everything, and I had to provide counter traction for about 20 minutes while the doctor struggled to correct the fracture. Both the patient and I nearly fainted.
And that’s it! I’m not going to nominate anyone (I think my mission may be to stop these chain-blog-posts for good), but if you feel like participating via comment or on your own blog then i’ll be happy to link back to you!
As an aside, if anyone has any questions about medicine, health or medical school i’d be happy to answer.